Sunday, July 19, 2009

They want to know everything!!!

Even how I look on the inside.
So, last Wednesday my son and I took the train, and the bus, and the tram to Amsterdam.
See? We were there, took this picture at the Museumplein.

For a change, that is the only picture I took. I know, it had been almost 25 years ago I think. And I would have liked to walk around a bit more, but my 14 year old son isn't a fan of cities, not even Amsterdam.

Anyway, we were there for our physical examination and for my chest x-ray.
All in all, it went pretty well, it was mostly waiting a lot and walking a lot.
The good thing about the Internet is that you can find out exactly what tram, train or bus to take, when to be there and how much time and money it costs.
It makes traveling a lot easier, even when you go to a city you don't know.
Still, we managed to get lost a bit, 5 minutes from the place we had to be, but we were really early, so no panic.
We found it. We were even so early that we were sent out again to get my x-ray done first. Which was a 10 minute walk and 30 minutes wait.

For me it was a trip back into time, the doctors office reminded me of the time I was living in Groningen, our doctor was also in the inner city, in an old building with little space. Here it was the same. The place the x-ray was taken was more like a trailer behind a beautiful old building.

The people at the dr. office were really nice and my son got some nice compliments.
They made another hole in my skin again. A blood sample was taken to check for HIV and Syphilis, together with the x-ray and the vaccinations I had for this, I should be good for at least 10 more years I think. Jack doesn't have to worry, I bet I come with some kind of guarantee now.
We did find out that my son will need a series of 3 vaccinations for Hepatitis B once we are in the US. That is the only one the kids here don't get on the regular vaccination plan. And he is lucky that he isn't a girl, or he would have needed another series of 3.

On our way back we saw the American consulate where we have to be in a week.
Tall, black fences and security all over the place.
I am glad Jack will be there with us.
Before we go to the consulate, we will pick him up from Schiphol where he will arrive a few hours before we have to be there.

1 comment:

USA2007 said...

Hi,

It's nice to read your story online. Brings back memories LOL I moved to the US (from Holland) 2.5 years ago on a green card. Best of luck for next week, but I am sure everything is going to be fine.

Sue in Orlando, FL