Sunday, March 8, 2009

Can't keep up

There is so much going on right now, I am trying to take it one at a time.
First of all, it doesn't help that just over 3 weeks ago, my bike went down on a concrete parking lot, taking me with it.
After gasping for air for a few minutes, I went back on the bike thinking that would be the last of it.
Why I ended up asking my Dad to drive me to the hospital last Friday?
Well, just over a week ago, my right arm that had been painful for those weeks, got slammed against a car door. The pain in my arm doubled fast after that.
Which is why they had to make sure nothing had broken inside the elbow.
Anyway, nothing is broken, but something is hurting pretty bad, so I am looking at therapy now.

In the meantime, I wasn't able to work. Which makes the time frame left for the course I was going to take, too narrow.
Would have had to start much later and it looks like our Visa may be adjudicated a lot earlier than was expected at first.
Right now, we may expect approval from the USCIS the end of May, beginning of June. Soon after that things will start rolling here in the Netherlands, meaning we have to get our stuff ready for that.

Moving in the last weeks of my son's summer vacation looks like a real possibility now.
If VSC (Vermont Service Center) keeps up the good work, than the date we get our visa may even be a bit earlier.
On the other hand, we also might turn out to be one of those couples whose visa journey takes a year instead.

This is why I have two huge kennels in my living room right now, so the girls can get used to them already. They arrived last week.
Regulations to bring dogs over looked pretty easy at first, but it turns out to be quite a challenge.
Both my dogs are sight hounds, meaning they are lightweights, with pretty long legs and necks. This caused some confusion over the kennels we need.
KLM wants a kennel high enough to have 10 cm above the dogs head when it is standing up.
If we would have gone for that, we would have had to have kennels made. Very expensive. And they would have been so huge, 3 of my dogs would have fitted into the kennels.
But it is already clear the dogs won't fly through KLM, they are so much more expensive than most airlines. After looking into it, it will probably use an American airline flying from Brussels.
The kennels I have are the biggest most airlines allow. Common sense tells me they are to big, but after reading through the guides of different airlines, this was the best option.
And these are IATA certified.
Now my bank account needs some time to recover.

Because the next step will be vaccinations...
Not for the dogs, nah, my turn.
For some reason my records are gone and since I am too old (ugh, ugh) the records weren't kept at the GGD.
I will have to get my shots, just like the dogs....
To keep the costs at a minimum, my own doctor will give them to me, instead of having them done at the medical in Amsterdam.

And in the meantime, I am selling stuff that I won't take with me.
So if anyone wants a pair of leather pants in perfect shape, or a good leather jacket...saying good bye to memories.

So much going on and so much more to come.

1 comment:

Bibi said...

Are you really sure you want to get rid of your leather pants?
I used to have a nice pair and a awesome leather jacket. One day I decided that I was done with them but now, years later, I regret it.